Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Next Steps

In spite of our very exciting news the other day, there are still things that need to be done so here is a little rundown of the next steps in the process. I spoke with WACAP's Korea program director yesterday and she is mailing us a welcome package of sorts. (Hopefully I'll get that today or tomorrow!) In it we have a few contracts that we have to sign, a photo request (appartently we need to submit a photo of the two of us and it has some specific regulations of course), and the first "bill". After we send all that in, we'll be "active" in the program, which means that Korea will have our paperwork and we'll be on the list to receive a referral. We also have to mark our calendars for August when we'll need to send in our immigration papers.


For the immigration (USCIS), we have to fill out a couple of forms and submit fingerprint cards for an FBI background check. The agency is asking for us to delay doing this for three months because the fingerprints and immigration clearance have experation dates of 15 months and 18 months respectively. So knowing the time frame for a referral, they are trying to help us avoid having to redo them. That's nice! This will not delay our being "active" in the program however.


Hopefully we'll get that package in short order and we can get everything filled out and mailed in and then the fun wait begins. How long until a referral (picture of baby and med. hx)? About 14-17 months is the current wait time. I know, I know...that seems like forever, but I'm sure it will go by quickly.

No comments: