Saturday, January 9, 2010

Making way for the future....

So the task of organizing our two-car garage that can't currently accomodate one car, has been on my radar for quite some time. I recently decided to tackle this chore in increments and today was one of those days where I donated a few hours of my time. There, lurking in the front corner were numerous boxes labled "classroom supplies," "stuffed animals" etc. For years, these boxes have remained sealed under the idea of "I might need them someday." Well, today I decided that I didn't need that stuff cluttering my life anymore. Going through a few boxes was actually kind of fun. I found stuffed pound puppies, my first pink Gund teddy bear, a California Raisin figure (does anyone else remember those things?), pink rabbit bubble gum machine, a hacky sack, and various other items. Now, I'll admit, I'm keeping the Gund bear (he needs a bit of a bath), as well as a stuffed Mickey Mouse that I got on my first trip to Disney, but the rest of the stuff is moving along. I couldn't throw it out, but I felt it would be reasonable to donate them to someone who might find joy.


All this cleaning made me feel like I was successfully blazing a trail into the future. Afterall, how can one expect bounty to enter your life when your life is cluttered with so much materialism from the past. It feels good to let parts of the past go for now.

1 comment:

BrandiB said...

I hear you! We had to get ours cleaned out a couple of months ago and found some interesting stuff in there as well. I had some of those trolls with the crazy hair and my kids had actually stashed Easter candy from last year out there...ewww....