Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Will we be enough?...

My husband and I have been struggling with this question lately and I suspect we are not the first hopeful parents to have this particular concern. Will we be enough? It seems like the challenges that come with adoption are at times insurmountable, but then you throw transracial adoption into the adventure and it becomes intimidating at best. We just wonder if we have what it takes to parent a child of a different race. Will we screw up as parents?...of course...who doesn't. But I don't want to scar this little person who never volunteered to be in this position. Has God made us who we need to be in order to be the best possible parents to this child we have yet to meet? Fingers and toes crossed...God I hope so!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God would not have led you down this path if He did not deem you capable. You are after all one of his greatest gifts.

BrandiB said...

So, we completely understand exactly what you are talking about! We have obsessed over it and thought so much about every single situation and then realized we just cannot do that anymore. You know you will love that little one so much and that is what is important!

Annie B said...

I wouldn't look at it this way - not being "enough". I think there is a point in parenting any child (bio or adopted) where you have to look beyond your family for help. If you kid has behavioral problems, you see a psychiatrist. If they have interest in something -like learning an instrument or playing sports- that you have no expertise in, you get them lessons from an expert in that thing.

As a white person, I can only do so much to teach my kid how to be Asian-/Korea-American. So I am seeking help from my community in that regard. I see it as widening our circle of community and I think it makes our lives richer.

I agree with Brandi, the love the baby gets at home is most important and a foundation for everything else. I think it's great you are thinking about this stuff and says to me you're already off to a great start being sensitive to your kid's unique needs.