Monday, November 9, 2009

Sometimes the dumbest things mean so much....

Today we received a letter from the Department of Homeland Security. In bold letters across the top(ish), it states "Notice of Favorable Determination Concerning Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition." Say huh? :) It goes on to read: "It has been determined that you are able to furnish proper care to an orphan as defined in Section 101 (B)(1)(F) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.".... government speak for - The U.S. has declared us fit to parent a child.


I don't know why, but this letter, in all its governmental jargon wonderment, brought tears to my eyes. Not that I place a great deal of stock in the opinions of the U.S. government, but it's nice to know that someone thinks we'll be good parents and that we have the documentation to prove it!


My only question revolves around a small section at the bottom. In tiny boxes the form declares the parameters by which we are considered fit to parent: It can be one child or either gender between the age of 0-12 months and not a special needs child. Hmmmm... what happens if we get a referral for twins?


In spite of that one looming question, I will choose to rejoice in this dumb little letter, because even though it's just ink on paper, it means so much to these wannabe parents.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is a simple thing and not so dumb. I know you will be GREAT parents.I can hardly wait.

Annie B said...

Congrats on your approval! I actually didn't get what a big thing this is when it happened for us. I think it's the "official" beginning of the adoption and immigration process. I think many agencies actually use this date, not the sumbmittal of homestudy date, as the start date to determine your place in line. Anyway, you are right to be happy to celebrate this milestone. Celebrate everything along the way, it's all part of the family building process, even if there's not a lot of romance in a government form.

BrandiB said...

You guys know you don't need a government document to let you know you are going to be good parents! Don't let the anxiety and wait get the best of you...no one could love that child more than you :-) Hopefully the wait won't be too much longer!

St. John said...

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently...simple seems more appropriate. Sarah, I'm greatful that this is not the official marker of my wait time but I am trying really hard to count the little blessings as they come along. Brandi, I am doing suprisingly well with the wait; perhaps that is attibuted to the plethora of other distractions plaguing my life right now :-). We are indeed excited.