Friday, January 30, 2009

Decisions, Decisions...

On a happy note, you will notice below that Bob was able to check off his medical form. YEY!

Well, I went to the doctor today and was told something that I had already suspected. I have endometriosis. Fantastic. We kind of had a sneaking suspicion as certain physiological processes have grown enormously more painful since I went off the pill 7 years ago, but we never had a diagnosis. I must say that I'm not to happy about it. Although endometriosis can be "managed" surgically, such intervention is not the first line of defense....birth control pills are. I dread going to a doctor and having them say "you need to be on the pill." This scenario has played out several times before, and I chose to blow it off because somewhere in my head I was holding out for a possible pregnancy. Now I have to face the demon that I don't want to face -- Choose personal health or choose a slim possibility of getting pregnant. It completely sucks that endometriosis can cause infertility, but the way to get rid of it (BC pills) prevents pregnancy. It's a total Catch 22. No matter how much I want to adopt and embrace that journey, it is dreadfully difficult to abandon the hope of becoming pregnant. Bob has been trying to help me understand that taking the necessary medication now doesn't mean we can't try again later. I'm coming around, but this is a huge mental road block for me.

No comments: