Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I'm Sorry?...What Did You Say?

Those were the words that fell from my face this morning. You know how I mentioned a speculative diagnosis of endometriosis a while back, and how I expressed my concern about mandating medication (i.e. bc pills) based on speculation. Well, today I had my moment in the sun during the surgery consult. In case you didn't know, I requested to meet with the surgeon to discuss a laparoscopy as means of either confirming the presence or absence of endometriosis before I took any meds.


Well during the pelvic exam, the doctor said "O.k. there's a fibroid, and there's another fibroid and oh...there's another one." Excuse me? No one has ever said anything about fibroids. She said that there is a possibility they could have developed within the last 4 years or so (since my last ultrasound), but this was complete news to me. Apparently I do have a bit of endometriosis, but not nearly to the degree that was previosly being speculated. It turns out that all my unpleasant pains have been due to the stinkin' fibroids setting up camp in my uterus. Joyful! Thankfully, the surgeon said I was a great candidate for a Robotic Myomectomy where the fibroids could be removed and any existing endometriosis minimized. Yey for that news. She also said that doing the procedure would increase my chances of getting pregnant and sustaining pregnancy for about 2 - 3 years. Again, good news.


So after school orientation this Friday, Bob and I will discuss what date would be best for the surgery. I'm thinking it will be sometime in August or September but we'll see. I'm just greatful that I stood my ground and sought an extra opinion. Who knows how long those little bastard tumors would have stuck around if I didn't! Take charge of your health....that's my motto!

No comments: