The future name of our child has a been a topic that's floated in and out of my mind for years; since I was a teenager really. In passing, you hear a cool or unusual name and you think "hey...I kind of like the sound of that." The process becomes more like a hobby or game --- that is, until you actually have to supply a breathing human with a moniker that won't scar them forever!
We've recently taken this challenge a bit more seriously, and let me say that it is hard work. Baby name books offer a bit of help, but has anyone really looked in one of those things lately? I think that the authors are just throwing darts at an alphabet chart and combining the letters thusly! We would like people to be able to pronounce the child's name thank you.
Over the past few weeks, we've discovered that boy's names are less of an argument than girl's names. Agreement has come much easier for some reason. Naming a girl brings tremendous divergence. One of us is naming the adorable bouncing little girl with pigtails while the other is naming the woman who will be head of some company some day. It's a tough gig and for anyone familiar with the t.v. show Friends, you'll understand when I say that I fear our little girl may be named "veto.".
The good news is that we have time. Of course that can also just make the list of name possibilities longer... With list in hand, we do have an advantage that most birthparents do not have--the ability to think on it. You see, when we first see a picture of our baby, we'll have 3-6 months to choose a fitting name. I really feel sympathy for the birthparent who has a hospital administrator looming over them within a couple of hours of the birth saying "so, what name shall we put on the birth certificate." That's a tough break for people who just met their little darling and now have to label them for life. A name is sooooo important!

No comments:
Post a Comment